Iowa City Animal Services (319) 356-5295
The Thornberry Off-Leash Dog Park is located in the Peninsula Park at the west end of Foster Road.
For the safety of all dogs and their human companions and for the enjoyment of all, please read and abide by the rules and etiquette suggestions. When you get to the park, please don’t congregate with your dogs at the entryway and gates, so that everyone can enter and exit easily.
All dogs must:
- Have a current rabies vacination
- Display a permit for use of the park.
- Be accompanied by a responsible person at least 16 years of age.
- Be on-leash in the parking lot and in the entryway until they are inside the first gate.
- Be off leash in the park. It is okay to leash your dog to lead them out of the park.
The following dogs are not allowed in the park:
- Vicious, dangerous or aggressive dogs
- Dogs with communicable diseases
- Dogs in heat
Dog handlers must:
- Clean up after their dogs. Please use the green biodegradable bags available in park dispensers. Dog waste in the florescent green bags should be deposited in the underground waste tanks. Other waste bags should go into the garbage cans.
- Carry a leash for each dog in the park. Leaving a leash on the gate is a violation of park rules.
- Discourage dogs from excessive barking and dominating behavior such as staring, humping, and bullying.
- Stop dogs from digging and fill holes made by their dogs
- Be responsible for actions and behavior of their dogs at all times.
- Remove pinch, choke, and spike collars prior to entering the park. This is a safety issue as dogs can be injured by such collars when playing. People have been injured by these collars too.
- Not have more than two dogs in the park at one time.
More info can be found here: http://www.jcdogpac.org/park_info.shtml
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Parking: Free lot
- Restrictions: No alcohol, No smoking
- Area: 12 acres