Watching the Super Bowl with friends can leave a lot of us feeling the information gap.
While some of us have been following the teams, their players, strategies, and statistics since birth, others might know only the names of the quarterbacks and that they throw the ball.
Whether you're looking to impress the sports nerds in the room with a few of your own facts, or you're simply a true connoisseur of arguably useless knowledge, here's some fun Super Bowl 2013 trivia.
Five Fun Facts About the Super Bowl
- This year, a 30-second commercial costs $4 million, up from 3.5 million last year and $42,000 in 1967, according to Time.
- Football fans are anticipated to consume an estimated 79 million pounds of Hass avocados during Big Game gatherings this year, according to the Hass Avocado Board.
- If you still think the 1983 season finale of M*A*S*H was the most-watched broadcast in the U.S., think again. The 2010 Super Bowl between the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts stole that title, only to be beaten exactly one year later when 111 million people tuned in to watch the 2011 Super Bowl between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to Nielsen Co. That record was broken again last year when 111.3 million people watched the Giants beat the Patriots, according to ESPN.go.com.
- Heading into the game, the 49ers are 5-0 in Super Bowls and the Ravens are 1-0 in Super Bowls.
- Super Bowl XLVII is the first time in history that will pit two sibling coaches against each other. John Harbaugh coaches the Ravens and Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49ers.
Finally, here's some useful knowledge to have on Sunday.
Who: The Ravens vs. The 49ers
Kickoff Time: Sunday, Feb. 3 at 5:30 p.m. CT
Where: New Orleans, LA at Mercedes-Benz Superdome
But where, praytell, should you take in the game in Iowa City? Well here are a few suggestions:
2 Dogs Pub
Short's Burger and Shine
Coach's Corner Sports Pub
Buffalo Wild Wings
Brother's Bar and Grill
Quinton's Bar & Deli
Shakespeare's Pub and Grill
Micky's Irish Pub