See you Mountaineers. There can be only one number one party school.
And that is now the University of Iowa.
The Princeton Review released its Top College Rankings today and the University of Iowa has claimed the distinction of the number one party school in these United States. Iowa previously ranked a measly number two in last year's party school rankings and only number four the year before. Iowa dethroned West Virginia as last year's champions of partying.
Tom Moore, University of Iowa spokesman, predictably downplayed the distinction:
(via Huffington Post)
University of Iowa spokesman Tom Moore said that despite the ranking, surveys of Iowa students indicate alcohol consumption is down over the past four years, and the proportion of students engaging in high-risk drinking is at its lowest level in 20 years, according to the National College Health Assessment survey.
"We are continuing to work to change the culture on our campus by
educating students to only consume alcohol in a legal, safe and
responsible manner, and those efforts are achieving results," Moore said
in a statement.
Tara Bannow of the Press-Citizen wrote that the University of Iowa earned its number one party school ranking due to the answers students gave on survey questions:
The party school list is based on answers to questions concerning alcohol and drug use on campus, the popularity of the fraternity and sorority scene and the number of hours they report studying each day outside of class time.
According to students who filled out surveys, when it comes to academics, “requirements are minimal” at UI. The student population is described as “laid-back” and “very social.” And most undergrads have “their season football tickets by June.”If you would like a copy of the Princeton Review of schools to commemorate this special accomplishment, it goes on sale tomorrow.
Here's the list of Top 20 Party Schools
1. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
2. University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
4. West Virginia University, Morgantown W. Va.
5. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
6. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
7. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
8. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
9. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
10. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
11. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
12. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
13. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
14. University of Mississippi, University, Miss.
15. University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
16. Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, Ohio
17. University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
18. Tulane University, New Orleans, La.
19. University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
20. University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
Top Sober Schools
1. Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
2. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
3. College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
4. Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
5. U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.