The CDC says it's time to get your flu shot, so why argue.
"Influenza activity is increasing in parts of the country and further increases are expected in the coming weeks and months," according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website.
The seasonal shot protects against two types of flu viruses different from last year's vaccine and takes two weeks to reach full protection.
Here's some place to get shots in Iowa City:
- Hy-Vee-First Avenue is offering flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations through our pharmacy by walk in from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday to Friday and by appointment on nights and weekends.
- Nov. 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Senior Center.
- Nov. 29 from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Coral Ridge Mall.
- Nov. 30 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Senior Center.
- In December, flu shots will be available at the Senior Center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Flu shots are available at the VNA office daily Monday through Friday. Contact the office at 319-337-9686 to schedule.
- The cost for the flu vaccine is $28 if billed to insurance ($25 if cash or check paid at clinic). FluMist is $34 if billed to insurance ($31 if cash or check paid at clinic). The cost for the Pneumonia vaccine is $83 if billed to insurance ($80 if cash or check paid at clinic).
- University of Iowa Student Health has both injections and FluMist and students can walk in any time during our business hours to get a flu vaccine. The cost of the injectable vaccine is $59, and the cost of FluMist is $70. Most insurance companies cover the cost of the vaccine.