Disorderly House Ordinance Passes its First Reading by Iowa City City Council

City staff argued successfully to the council that the change to the city's policy will allow housing inspectors and police other tools to stop repeat disorderly house offenders.

If the new Iowa City disorderly house ordinance passes two more readings, not answering your door will no longer be an option to avoid potentially paying a fine for having a raucous party.

The Iowa City City Council unanimously voted Tuesday to approve the first of three readings on an ordinance that if passed would allow the city to use its already existing nuisance rental property regulations to charge the offending tenants with a civil infraction if they cannot be contacted to be charged for a crime.

The ordinance would also allow police and housing inspection services to issue a letter warning the tenants and their landlord about the potential consequences of a disorderly house violation even if under their judgment they choose not to file a civil complaint against the tenants.

Disorderly house complaints have been traditionally handled by an officer either issuing a warning to the tenant or tenants responsible for the party. For more serious or repeat offenders, the officer would issue a criminal citation for disorderly house, a simple misdemeanor.

However, savvy partiers have tried to get around this possibility of a criminal charge by never answering the door once the officers arrive for the noise complaint, requiring the officers to get a search warrant if they want to enter the residence.

Doug Boothroy, Iowa City’s Director of Housing and Inspection Services said this is not only vexing for police, it prevents what comes next, the aforementioned letter to the tenants and landlord that is sent out after a criminal citation is made. After a third offense, which he said is rare, a meeting is made with the city officials, the landlord, and the tenants where it is made clear that the tenants could eventually be evicted if they continued to pick up more disorderly house violations.

"If the police are not able to wait around for a search warrant they can't issue a criminal complaint, and if a criminal complaint isn't filed the process doesn't get started," Boothroy said.

Boothroy said getting the letter out is important because it has a huge effect in cutting down on repeat offenders. Last year, there were 175 first-time offenses for disorderly house, after the follow up by the city there were only 8 repeat offenders, and no three time offenders.

Boothroy said that one of the large components of this new ordinance is it provides the city more options to trigger the warning process early and educate tenants before a residence becomes a repeat problem.

Iowa City Police Chief Sam Hargadine told the council that the disorderly house violation is always a judgment call made by an officer, and avoiding a citation could be as easy as just answering the door and being polite to the officer.

"The demeanor of the person who answers the door can make a difference on whether they get a ticket or not," he said.

Hargadine also said that forcing officers to get a search warrant late at night would not be the answer. It would often require waking up a potentially irate judge late at night, and would not only give the officers the right to enter the residence, it would also give them the right to knock the door down to speak  to the tenant.

"I'm not sure that I want my officers to do that for this sort of offense," Hargadine said. 

City councilor Terry Dickens said that he had been on a ride along with police officers when they arrived at an apartment where the tenants refused to answer the door after a loud noise complaint.

"It was really frustrating for me to sit and watch officers try to get someone to answer the door," Dickens said. "It seems like a big waste of time."

City attorney Eleanor Dilkes said the nuisance law was expanded for this purpose because authorities would not want to charge the tenants with a criminal offense if they couldn't prove they were in the residence. With a municipal infraction, the burden of proof is lower, so each of the tenants can be charged.

Whether or not the a civil charge is filed will depend on the discretion of the police and housing inspectors, and could include past history at that residence.

Dilkes said the cost of civil infraction will be $750 for each tenant, and $1,000 for every subsequent offense.

Maria Houser Conzemius August 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM
It's not just kids bothering their neighbors. Adults old enough to know better do the same thing. How do their children do in school? Not well. School nights are open season, not an issue.
Matthew Georges August 23, 2012 at 05:06 AM
+1 Billy, it seems our rights not as important as making sure the police don't have to work when doing their jobs. It would be so much easier if we just gave an extra house key to the police so they could come in whenever they wanted. What is our state motto again?
Maria Houser Conzemius August 23, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Matthew Georges, I have an inherent right to the peaceful enjoyment of my own property. That right may not be recognized in backward Iowa, but it's certainly recognized in New York. Noise emanating from a house is perceptible outside the house whether the person or persons open their door or not. We have a noise ordinance in this town. Not many people realize it, but we do.
Maria Houser Conzemius August 24, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Billy Zelsnack, I am?
Matthew Georges August 24, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Why are you telling me this? I realize we have a noise ordinance, and that you have a right to peacefully enjoy your property. What I also realize, is that there is a thing called "due process of law," which is in the bill of rights. I never said these parties should not be turned down, and that the people throwing them should be punished, but the authorities need to go through the proper channels, and obtain a search warrant if they wish to enter a residence, and arrest someone.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »