It seems like yesterday, we were attending community forums, writing letters to our school board representatives, and chatting across the fence and in coffee shops about where our children would be going to school under the multitude of scenarios for redistricting that were presented and rejected.
The issue went away with few changes implemented, and many problems still face the district.
A new round of redistricting proposals is now being circulated by the Iowa City School District. Let's call it Redistricting 2012.
Read Iowa City School District responses to questions about these new redistricting plans.
The proposal includes a few fairly substantial changes.
These changes would occur for the fall 2013:
- 106 students out of Wood to Longfellow (Dolphin Lake Pointe and Bon Aire)
- 104 students out of Longfellow to Twain (Windsor Ridge and Redwing Estates)
- 69 students out of Twain to Hills (Lake Ridge)
North Central Junior High boundary:
- Wickham Elementary students move from North Central to Northwest Junior High.
These changes address a number of priorities, according to the district.
- Addresses overcrowding at Wood.
- Addresses available space at Twain and Hills.
- Moves toward goal of bringing schools within 20 precent of Free/Reduced Lunch district average.
- Addresses overcrowding at North Central.
- Utilizes available space at Northwest.
The district is holding meetings on the plans:
- Thursday, March 8 at 7-8:30 p.m. at City High Little Theatre (Enter the main middle doors to the main foyer, take those steps to the 2nd floor and turn right. The Little Theatre is down past the guidance office on the left.)
- Wednesday, March 21 at 7-8:30 p.m. Northwest Junior High Little Theatre.
Here is a link to the plans.
Here is a link to a form to provide feedback to the district.