Iowa City Man Accused of Raping Woman Has Bail Set at $750,000, Placed on Hold for Deportation
A preliminary hearing has been set for April 9 for Peng Tang.
The man accused of raping an Iowa City woman last week could be deported following the completion of any criminal sentence he receives.
Peng Tang, 21, of Iowa City, has been charged with first-degree kidnapping, a Class A felony, for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman who had intended to show him an apartment for a potential sublet agreement.
As a result, Tang is now being held in the Johnson County Jail with a bail set at $750,000, and Immigration and Naturalization has placed a hold on him, meaning that he could be deported from this country if he is found guilty of the crime, according to an official at the Johnson County Jail.
Court records show that a preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Tang on April 9.
Tang allegedly sexually assaulted a woman at the 1000 block of West Benton Street on Thursday night.
The woman told police that as she showed Tang the bedroom in her apartment, he closed the door behind them and locked it, grabbing her hands behind her back and attempting to bind them. The woman said she tried to speak to the Tang but he put a towel into her mouth, then forced her to turn her cell phone off, then sexually assaulted her.
The man allegedly told the woman that he had a knife during the episode:
“You have better follow my requirements because I have a knife,” he allegedly told the woman, according to Iowa City police criminal complaint.
He also took sexually explicit photos of the woman and threatened to post them online if she called police, according to the criminal complaint.
Investigation of the incident, including statements from the woman, led the police to Tang within 24 hours. Tang allegedly admitted that he had committed the crime when confronted by police after having been read his Miranda rights, according to the police.
According to the release, the woman was treated and released from the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics with minor injuries.
More Iowa City crime news:
- Coralville Man Arrested at Grocery Store for "Criminal Mischief With The Cheese"
- Man Allegedly Throws Phone Into Fiancé's Face: Iowa City Police Blotter, March 19
- Hills Man Accused of Trying to Run Wife off the Road in Iowa City while Their Children were in Her Vehicle
- Iowa City Man Accused of Throwing Urine in Doctor's Face
- Daughter Who Killed Son and Self Was Suicidal, Waukee Mother Says; Expert Weighs-In on the Signs
- Iowa City Police: Woman Accused of Punching Other Woman, Stealing her Phone
- Sheriff's Office: Naked Iowa City Man Arrested, Claimed He was Forced to Handle a Nuclear Bomb